When I made this in the past, the family loved it! As I was looking for something posted in the past, I realized that I never got this on, so here it is. I will photograph it as I make for dinner tonight and add those in the next couple of days.
Since the whole family loves it and it freezes so well, I will make the pantry version next week and post it then.
Panda Express Orange Chicken Recipe #103215
A copycat recipe from Panda Express. This chicken is tangy and flavorful. Give it a try! I'm sure you and your family will enjoy it. by KatieMom84 - - - - 45 min | 15 min prep - - - - - - SERVES 6
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- white pepper
- oil (for frying)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch, plus
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed hot red chili pepper
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
Orange Sauce for Stir Fry
- Place chicken pieces in large bowl.
- Stir in egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well.
- Stir cornstarch and flour together.
- Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat.
- Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375 degrees.
- Add chicken, small batches at a time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden crisp.
- (Do not overcook chicken).
- Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; set aside.
- Clean wok and heat 15 seconds over high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant; about 10 seconds.
- Add and stir-fry crushed chiles and green onions.
- Add rice wine and stir 3 seconds.
- Add Orange Sauce and bring to boil.
- Stir water into remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth and add to chicken.
- Heat until sauce is thickened
- Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed.
- Stir in sesame oil and orange zest if desired.
- Serve over jasmine rice.
To see pictures click HERE. To try the pantry style, click HERE.