I love good ice cream. It should be yummy, creamy and have to die for flavor. On the other hand, it can be so fattening! Being on the "fluffy" side, physically, I am always looking for ways to satisfy my sweet tooth. This was the answer I finally came up with!
Vanilla Ice Cream
Mix in a thick bottomed pan:
- 3 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 t. salt
Add, mix and heat while stirring until thick:
- 4 c. 1% or 2% milk
Mix in food processor or blender, then mix into hot mixture:
- 8 oz. fat free cream cheese, room temperature (you can use
- 2 c. cream cheese for even richer, creamier results.
- 2c. milk (same kind as in the hot mixture)
- 1 - 2 t. vanilla
In separate bowl beat:
- 4 eggs
Slowly pour a small amount ( 1 - 2 c.) of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs while beating with a whisk or mixer to temper the eggs. After tempering eggs, slowly add egg mixture to the hot mixture while beating. Cook for one minute to rethicken.
I usually do this the night before I want to freeze the ice cream so that I can chill it in the fridge over night. This will speed the freezing process a lot!
ICE-- I have 10 - 12 ice trays that I fill and freeze the day and night before so that I don't have to buy it.
Freezing the mixture.
Most freezers have instructions . . . read them?!? If you don't happen to no where that little pamphlet that came with your freezer is (like me), or you haven't done this before, I will try to explain it.
- Pour the mix into the canister of the freezer.
- Add milk to take it up to 2/3 full.
- Put the dasher in, place the lid on the canister.
- Put canister into the bucket and place the motor on, fitting it into the notches to hold it in place.
- Put a layer of ice into the bucket all around the canister, about 2-3 inches deep.
- Sprinkle rock salt around on top of the ice. No, table salt won't work very well, I tried it.
- Keep layering the ice and rock salt until it is up to about an inch from the top of the canister.
- Plug it in where you can hear the motor running but it isn't so loud that it drives you crazy!!!
- Check it once in a while to add ice and salt as it melts down.
While it it freezing, get the toppings ready!! =-0 !