Monday, October 26, 2009

PERSIMMON Party!!

We all got persimmons in our BB (Bountiful Baskets) this last pick up. what a bunch of cowards we all are! Every one I run into asks the same question, "Have you tried the persimmons? What do you do with them?"Here's the answer . . . . . . eat them already! I caved in and tried them last night. I found it to be a mildly sweet lovely flavored little piece of fruit. "What is the big deal", I asked myself. Made me giggle and wonder just what we all expected. I quartered it, cut out the fibrous middle and chowed down. I did peel some of it with a peeler and enjoyed the texture a little better.

Here is one recipe I found on recipezaar.com We also got green beans, so this one was perfect!

Sauteed Persimmons with Green Beans with Chives Recipe #13420

20 min | 5 min prep SERVES 8

  • 1 1/2 lbs. petite green beans, trimmed & cut into 1/2 " pieces
  • 3 T. olive oil (virgin gave it a wonderful flavor)
  • 3 ripe persimmons, diced into 1/4" slices (oops, diced mine)
  • 1/ pieces ( all I had was dried, made it yummy)
  • pinch of sugar, fruit was nice and sweet, didn't bother
  1. Cook green beans according to directions. Usually frozen say to cook for 2-4 minutes
  2. After draining, immediately plunge beans into a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking and drain.
  3. In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat until hot and sauté persimmons until lightly browned and softened, about 4 minutes.
  4. Add a pinch of sugar to help sweeten the persimmons.
  5. Add beans and 1/4 cup chives and sauté, stirring gently, until hot.
  6. Transfer mixture to a platter and sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup chives on top.

Add a little grilled chicken on the side (or some left over from the back of the fridge) and lunch is served! OK, it was dinner, we were so busy and got so much done, it was worth the wait!

My husband was in the kitchen loading up his plate and I heard, "Hey! These green beans are good!" Excuse me, did I hear surprise in that voice??


Babara's Persimmon Jam
  • 2 qt. fresh persimmon pulp
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • grated rind of 1 orange

· Combine all ingredients in a 4-quart enameled or stainless steel pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often until thickened, usually about 20 minutes.

Pour into 6 sterilized half-pint jars and seal at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment