Saturday, July 3, 2010

Foil Dinners . . . . More Of the Story

I made these with my girls and the grand kids yesterday.  With all that we were trying to do in one day, I didn't get quite the set-up to photograph that I wanted so I will share a little of the results and try to do some on "dressing them for success"   (wrapping). . . man was that just too corny?  You will see why in a few lines   {:-D

We set out all the choices for every one to pick from.  Each mom had one child at a time come in to make their "foily".

I used several ingredients from my food storage.   Every thing that has an * came from the can.  ** means it was dehydrated!

This is an easy way to keep the fat content in your foods way down.  I cut away all the fat I can while chopping the meat.  It makes the veggies so tasty that kids will usually eat them better than they do at other times.



GOOD STUFF FOR FOILIES
  • 3 - 4 oz. cut up meat/foily (we had chicken and fajita beef)
  • **chopped mushrooms
  • **minced onions
  • **diced bell peppers
  • *pineapple chuncks
  • zucchini, chopped
  • **carrots, sliced
  • ** diced potatoes
  • chopped celery
Seasonings:
  • **Lawry's
  • **Mrs. Dash 
  • **Spike
  • **McCormick's Salt Free All Purpose
  • Salt & Pepper
Sauces--
  • **Magic Mix + Beef Broth mixed with water
  • Sweet & Sour --  I'll put the recipe for this with the recipe later tonight with the Pineapple Chicken Foily instructions.  You'll love it!
Little warning--  These sauces are runny unless you cook them first to thicken them.   You can turn the edges up around the foil to hold it until it in until you wrap it up, but it is still a little tricky.  My sauce poured all over the table because I really didn't pay attention.  The kids seemed to think it was a pretty good show. . .  BUT . . .

Notice something that I didn't put out there?  Cabbage leaves.  Yes, I had half a head in the fridge and didn't put it out.  Silly me, decided to break my own rule since we were going to be cooking them in the BBQ grill so I thought it would be controlled enough that we shouldn't have a problem.  So hopefully, others will learn by the experience of me and mine!





Most were able to salvage most enough for lunch, but we did a lot snacking since there was so much loss.





I guess I kind of cheated, I made the Sweet & Sour Chicken with lots of sauce.  It did turn out heavenly.  I will put that whole recipe on later tonight or tomorrow.






Planned Posts for the next few days :
  • Sweet & Sour Pineapple Chicken
  • Spice Cupcakes in an orange rind or foil cup cake liner
  • German Chocolate Cake in the dutch oven
I hear these went over big at  Girls' Camp . . .  don't miss them!

No comments:

Post a Comment