Saturday, January 21, 2012

My New Calling. . . . and Blessing

As a member of  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I received a calling last Fall as a service missionary in our local area.  Our university has a pretty large Institute of Religion where they have a $1 lunch each Friday for the students . . . and full-time missionaries and few other misc. staff and visitors.  It has been one of the greatest challenges/blessings I have ever experienced.  I love the "kids" (young adults) .  They are a great group of young people who want to make good choices, do good in this world and follow our Savior's example and commandments.  It makes for a lovely and loving spirit that can only lift those around them.

I have learned a lot!  With the strangest ovens I have ever had the "opportunity" to deal with (was that put tactfully enough? . .  they are a NIGHTMARE . .  ah hem) to what will please the kids, make them feel that for just a few minutes, they can enjoy the tastes and love of home and help them relax and enjoy each other's company for an afternoon and there are a couple of grandmas (Sister Hays and me) with a hug ready and waiting for whoever needs it ( a couple of gramps too).

We have had near disasters, some pretty funny experiences and some great triumphs (in spite of the ovens).  All add up to a new adventure each week.

My greatest practical lessons have been in creating yummy meals that can be done, from beginning to ready to eat in 3 - 4 hours. . .  for a crowd of anywhere from 130, last week to 170 this last week.  Never boring!

I thought I would share a lot of what I have learned on this blog while I wait to get together with my DIL so she can show me how to add tabs and organize it better.

Hope you find my adventures useful, convenient and tasty for your families.  My family has been my tolerant if not willing guinea pigs for many of the dishes I have served down there!  I will have family and group size recipes posted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment