Monday, April 12, 2010

KUMQUAT CHICKEN - - - - - With an Update (at bottom of post)

COMMITMENT:  I have the hardest time trying a new recipe and not messing with it, some how.  I decided that this time, I would do it exactly as it was written, no matter what.  Ah yes, the best of intentions paves a certain road, and mine has several layers of paving.  I found that I didn't have some of the ingredients!  So here we go.  I had to use a little of my Yankee (from a half southerner) initiative to make do.

Kumquat Chicken




Ingredients http://www.grouprecipes.com/images/bullet_arrow_up.gif


  • 4 chicken breasts
  • 1/4 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup of catsup
  • 1/4 cup of cider vinegar
  • 2 tbsp of cornstarch
  • 1 small green pepper, chopped
  • 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks with juice
  • 8 or 9 sliced kumquats, seeds removed

I never have brown sugar in my cupboards.  I have been using white sugar and molasses since my single days.  Just add 1 T. molasses to a cup of sugar and you have it!  I also didn't have any green peppers right now.  Just red and orange ones which are sweeter, so I  used an Anaheim Chile pepper, trimmed the seeds and veins really well, there is no heat that way.  I did have pineapple chunks, but they were so large compared to the tiny little kumquat slices that I decided to cut them down to tidbit size.


Directions http://www.grouprecipes.com/images/bullet_arrow_up.gif



  1. Kumquats are very unusual. The flesh is tart/sour and the rind is sweet. They are small and have two seeds that are quite bitter.
  2. Place chicken in a casserole dish.
  3. Mix all ingredients and pour over the chicken.
  4. Cover with foil.
  5. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
  6. Serve over rice or noodles.
  7. I think this could be adapted to slow cooker by setting it on low for 8 - 9 hours.


It's 9:00 pm, so I opted for the crock pot method.  Knowing me, I will have a wonderful, if not strange breakfast! 



I had the hardest time not adding a little ginger and soy sauce, but then 
I would have gone Asian. I will have to add finished pictures tomorrow 
and let you know how good it is








Well, I didn't cover the slow cooker with a towel like I usually.  That helps the cooker cook hotter and this time would have helped the meat at the top of the crock cook through.  That also helps cook foods quite a bit faster.

Anyway, I ended up putting the chicken in an over dish and finished it up in the oven.  Lesson learned, even if I will be cooking it on low all night, cover it or use high!



I did enjoy this dish, OK I confess, I did add a little soy sauce when I ate it.  I did resist the ginger.  It is a little "rindy", I quite liked it.  My husband seemed to enjoy it, but didn't dive back in for seconds.  My 4-year old grandson said it was "Yummy, but now can I have some cinnamin toast?"   Take that as you may.




No comments:

Post a Comment